With the New Year just beginning, this is a great time for pharmacy students to reflect upon the past year and to set goals for 2017. Here are 5 New Year’s Resolutions to keep you motivated and excited for your future in pharmacy!
1. Complete eCMEs
· In order to provide optimal, evidence-based care, pharmacists and pharmacy students should remain up to date with respect to their therapeutic knowledge.
· eCMEs are an excellent way to stay abreast of current literature. In addition, participating in accredited CME programs equip you with educational credits, which can be highly desirable when job seeking.
· rxBriefCase offers a wide range of free, online programs for pharmacists, pharmacy students and technicians that are easily accessible and convenient!
2. Update your curriculum vitae (CV)
· Maintaining an updated CV is critical, especially when new career or educational opportunities arise, such as pharmacy residencies.
· Be sure to include all of your accomplishments from the past year and provide a brief description of your role and what skills you gained from each activity.
3. Partake in pharmacy research
· Pharmacy research can be a very rewarding experience, especially if your project is novel and can enhance current practice.
· In addition to collaborating with different preceptors, research provides a unique opportunity to improve your scientific writing skills, understand research principles and appreciate research ethics.
· Attending a pharmacy conference, such as the Pharmacy U Conference or CSHP Professional Practice Conference, will enable you to meet fellow peers, experts, mentors and even your potential employer!
· Conferences are also a great way to learn about the latest in drug development, research innovation and clinical practice.
5. Seek further certifications
· After graduation, obtaining additional certifications will distinguish you from being just another pharmacist with a PharmD. Certifications, including the Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE), Certified Geriatric Pharmacist (CGP) and Certificate in Travel Health (CTH) will allow you to become highly specialized and qualified!
Best Wishes in 2017!